Monday, May 4, 2009

Der Commander! Finally pt2 :)

Sorry for the delay Ladies and Gents, I have been very busy! unfortunately, not with painting :(

Behold below, the Space Marine Commander:













I tried to spend as much time as I could on him. I know he's not perfect, but he's about as best as I could manage. He originally had a plasma pistol, but I decided later I didn't want to risk the 'Gets Hot!' rule spoiling my day, like it always tends to!













The posability is about as much as you could expect from a plastic mini with details like this, though I feel he'd look way better sans cape for me. There were heaps and heaps of options on the sprue - as should be obvious from a box that size for just one mini.













I highly rate the mini in general. I recommend anyone who has an old school commander mini to invest in the newer one, it's well worth it!

All in all I've been pretty pleased with my work lately. Again I know it's nowhere near the level of alot of other painters, but I've been thinking it's alot nicer to aspire to that level of quality, than to have to be almost OCD to feel the need to improve. On the other hand, I really need to up my game if I want to try any kind of cool effects, like glowy bits on plasma guns etc.

On a side note, I had a thorough read of the 5th ed Rulebook and the 5th ed Space Marine Codex. I learnt a few things I didn't know before. This caused me to make a slight change to one of my minis you guys have seen before, which I think is really awesome :)

I'll endeavour to post the pics of the mini that recently earned some more wargear before Friday, as I may be playing in the tourney this Saturday. It's been a lil since I've had a battle report, and it'll be the first with pics - should be sweet :)

Catch yas later!

-Albrek

4 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with the paint-job, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'd be perfectly happy to play a game against that army. Some people don't even bother with the painting at all, and just leave them in plastic-gray! It's your model and what is most important is that YOU are happy with it. Everything else can take a long walk off a short pier. ;)

    It's best not to focus on what everyone else can do, and advance in your skills (or not) at a rate that you're comfortable with. If you want to experiment, don't let anything stop you. You should have tons of little pieces that you're not using on sprues to try all sorts of tests on so that you're not sacrificing any of your usable models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Darksol :)

    I have a slight habit of protecting my bitz like they're sacred relics - never know when they'll come in handy :D hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. perhaps buy a sprue from a retailer for a similar-yet-out of production model?

    I tested the new washes on an old genestealer sprue from the Space Hulk box set...

    ReplyDelete
  4. sry, "Brian" is me. Sometimes Google forgets who I am. ;)

    ReplyDelete